Saturday, August 2, 2008

Is educational nosebleeding worth it?

Saturday, August 2, 2008

A student like me has worked hard since the day I entered school until now that I'm in my fourth year college. I have done lots of sacrifices, couldn't list it all in just one page, to be a good student and that's because I wanted to be responsible and that's the only gift I can give back to my parents. I never really wanted to be behind on subjects, got a 'ok-na' exam results and never a failing grade. Because if I do so, I would really feel so irresponsible and dwell blaming myself.

One time when I'm on my way home after a very tiring day from school, riding a taxi (joke lang,jeep lang bitaw), I thought to myself , is this all worth it? Do i really get to reap equally what I have been working hard for for my education? I mean, is education really the ONLY way to gain success and live a contented life?

What made me think so, is that there are lots of people I know that really didn't have a degree and didn't even made it to high school who are living luxuriously right now or living a good life abroad. What about celebrities? For example, Avril Lavigne, Kanye West and a lot like them, they are actually high school drop-outs. But look at them, its as if the world is theirs for the taking. The world loves them and the only problem they probably have right now is how to spend all their gains.

Recent graduates for the the past five or six years has experienced the unemployment crisis and I feel sorry for them that they have really worked hard but get no job at all. Especially those who are craving to graduate as early as they can just to be employed and earn for a living. Another thing is, most students nowadays prefer to chose a course instead of the ones they really are interested because the course they reall like would take longer time for them to finish than the courses they chose just to graduate early. Some even decides to quit school to have a job or even go abroad and mostly, it ends up they have actually been successful. I also heard once that the youths nowadays prefer to get a job and earn than finish their studies.

I admit that I feel scared sometimes that all of this wouldn't pay off. I wouldn't get to give my parents the good things we never had. This isn't totally a negative approach for you to think studying is just a waste of time. But hey, I still think the only thing that i could give my parents that would certainly make them happy..is a diploma. The things I've learned since I entered school will be the most treasure I will have for as long as I live. No one can take it, no one can steal it and it will always be with you. Educated persons are well appreciated in this society. And I will never haste myself to quit school and get a job to earn money. I salute those students who are working multiple times harder than anyone else to balance study and at the same time earn for a living. God is in your side.

6 comments:

sticky_notes_girl said...

blag!...sunggo2x man pud ta ana oi!....tams...di ko ka relate..im just a lowly nursing student....kanang lingaw pud...pa update sa imung life.....sa imung very STRESSFUL life....mmm nakabalita ko na naa na daw ka uyab?...haha..bantay lang ka isumbong jud taka sa authorities...hehe...jowk lang...isulti lang. di ko magsaba pramis...heehee.......agi agi lang ko....PS hope mag OL ka olwez

Anonymous said...

I agree that that is a common misconception nowadays with regards to what is the worth of a Computer Science or Information Technology Graduate. But the topic is very easy for it to be considered as a 1 semester research depending on the parameters. The implications or the output is vital not only for clarity but also for career choice.

rejserenity said...

jejeje...you have the point..

anyway, whats really matter is not the degree you hold, but the knowledge and skills u gain..

if ur not that satisfy with the institution ur in now, then find something else that would make you appreciate... anyway.. after we wud graduate, i gez u have plan to have some masteral that wud develop the shills u want to.. jejeje


best regardz...

charmj said...

mr anonymous..I think you posted you comment in a wrong post.You might be referring to my proposed research topic..
Anyway, thank you for the comment

charmj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

i think this all boils down to the fact that school is not for everyone and not everyone is for school. kanya-kanyang craft na pwede at dapat linangin. the hard part is finding your craft, your calling.

 
Scribble © 2008. Design by Pocket